Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Long days

So I set out today hoping to go through and finish the Lynda tutorial and then get started on the Michael Hartl tutorial.

However that never happened. As I mentioned before, I spoke with a friend today who was also learning rails. I mentioned that I couldn't get rails installed on windows and was using cloud based IDE's and cloud development servers. He suggested that I should look into ubuntu. He doesn't even dual boot, but only runs ubuntu on his laptop. I'm not so extreme and was considering a dual boot. However after reading the pros and cons, I decided against it and made up my mind to run ubuntu in a VirtualBox.

The EDx course recommended Oracle's virtualBox and they provided an Ubuntu image. I set it up, it took a couple hours but it was working well. After further observation, I founbd out that the version of rails and ruby they had was outdated. I tried to update it, but it said I wasnt root. I thought they gave me cripple ware, so I spent the next several hours downloading and configuring a fresh install of Ubuntu on VirtualBox. I only l;ater found out about sudo. LOL. So I'm now in the process of installing ruby and rails on this virtualBox. Its taking a while but i'm getting the hang of ubuntu and the command line. its kinda fun. So even though I spent several hours working on this , more like 9 hours, I'm very excited!

My next stop is just to go through the Michael Hartl Tutorial and try to finish quickly so I can catch up with Dru. I'm not too sure if I'll watch the rest of the Lynda titorials anyways. So we will see.

Over and Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment